Is our number one priority
Beware of the hot asphalt - this is how you protect your dog's paws
The heat wave is on its way, so you should be extra cautious because the extremely sunny and hot weather can cause scorched asphalt. Unfortunately, this can result in severe damage to your pet's paws.
Temperatures are expected to rise above 30 degrees in the coming days, which will cause the black tarmac to glow slightly.
It is critical to keep your dog's paws away from hot asphalt, which can cause burns and other injuries. There are several approaches to this:
- Avoid walking your dog on hot asphalt in the middle of the day. The safest times are usually early in the morning and late in the evening.
- Create a barrier between your dog's paws and the hot surface by using paw wax or other paw protectants.
- To protect your dog's paws from hot surfaces, consider using booties or other types of paw wear.
- Keep a close eye on your dog's paws for any signs of discomfort or injury. If you notice your dog limping or excessively licking its paws, take a break and let the paws cool down.
- On hot days, consider carrying a small spray bottle filled with water to mist your dog's paws. This can assist in cooling and refreshing the paws.
When their paws are burned, dogs may show signs of discomfort or pain, but it is important to be aware of your dog's normal behavior so that you can recognize when something is wrong. Some signs that your dog's paws are burning or otherwise injured are as follows:
- Limping or favoring one paw over another Excessive licking or biting at the paws
- Whining or crying as you walk or stand
- Paw swollenness or redness
- Foot blisters or open wounds
If you notice any of these symptoms, it is critical to stop walking or engaging in other activities and allow your dog's paws to cool down. Check the paws for any signs of injury or burns, and seek veterinary care if necessary.
Paw wax can be useful for protecting the paws. Paw wax moisturizes and protects the paws, preventing cracking while also making the paws stronger and more resistant to hot surfaces.
Dogs are born with soft, sensitive foot pads, and contact with hot pavements and paths, as well as, for example, beach sand, causes the dog's paws to become rough and scratched. This means that it doesn't take long for tears and cracks to form, resulting in very painful wounds for your dog.
PawTection is a product that protects the dog's paws by forming a protective membrane on the foot pads. In the summer, you can avoid the hot asphalt from burning your paws. At the same time, PawTection paw wax locks moisture in the paws, so the foot pads do not dry out as much as they would if you did not use Pawtection.